Potassium permanganate is a skin disinfectant and cleansing agent. It is used for soothing eczema (skin rash) and drying wet wounds. Dissolve a few crystals in a container of water.
Dilute it to a light purple color solution like this: Then use this solution as follows:
• Bath Fill a tubful with the solution and use for bathing.
• Compress Moisten strips of cotton or gauze in the solution. Wrap the strips around the affected areas. Keep the strips in place for 10 minutes. If they dry out, add more solution.
• Soak Fill a bathtub or a basin with enough solution to immerse the affected areas. Soak for about 10 minutes.
• Wash Dip cotton or a gauze in the solution and use to wash affected areas. Points To Note
• Do not make solution too concentrated or use crystals directly on affected areas as these will irritate and burn the skin.
• Dab dry after use. It is not necessary to rinse off with clean water. • Use either warm or cool water to make the solution.
• Potassium permanganate may stain the skin, nails and light clothing a brown colour.
• To remove fresh stains from the skin, rub over with a damp tablet of vitamin C